Shanghala seeks separate trial

NAMPA
2024-09-02
WINDHOEK, 02 September 2024 - Former Minister of Justice Sakeus Shanghala pictured in the Windhoek High Court. (Photo by: Eba Kandovazu) NAMPA WINDHOEK, 02 September 2024 - Former Minister of Justice Sakeus Shanghala pictured in the Windhoek High Court. (Photo by: Eba Kandovazu) NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 02 SEP (NAMPA) - Former Minister of Justice, Sakeus Shanghala on Monday filed an application seeking a separate trial in the Fishrot matter in which he stands accused.
Shanghala, alongside James Hatuikulipi and Pius Mwatelulo, objected to taking pleas without legal representation.
The three are charged alongside former Fisheries Minister Bernardt Esau, Mike Nghipunya, Ricardo Gustavo, Tamson Hatuikulipi, Otneel Shuudifonya, Phillipus Mwapopi and Nigel van Wyk.
The suspects are charged with 42 charges ranging from racketeering and money laundering to corruption and fraud. They were arrested in 2019 after they allegedly received bribes from Icelandic fishing company Samherji in exchange for fishing quotas.
Last week, presiding Judge Moses Chinhengo ordered that the trial commence, with or without legal representation.
Shanghala in his affidavit said a separate trial would allow the trial of his co-accused to proceed unhindered and without delay.
“The lack of legal representation has prejudiced the unrepresented accused applicants in that they were unable to consider and prepare. If the separation is not granted, the right to a speedy trial will trump the right to a substantive fair trial, favouring those represented accused over the unrepresented accused for the sake of a speedy trial,” Shanghala said in his affidavit, adding that the presiding judge had not afforded him, James Hatuikulipi and Mwatelulo a reasonable opportunity to secure legal representation.
Last week, Judge Chinhengo ordered the trial to continue, with pleas to be taken on Monday. One of the suspects, Gustavo, was however not in attendance as he had been admitted to a Windhoek hospital.
Chinhengo postponed the matter to Tuesday.
(NAMPA)
EB/HP/AS

Latest NAMPA photos

OSHAKATI, 18 February 2026 - The new councillor for the Ongwediva Constituency in the Oshana Region, Johannes Ngololo. (Photo by: Ester Hakaala) NAMPA

OSHAKATI, 18 February 2026 - The new councillor for the Ongwediva Constituency in the Oshana Region, Johannes Ngololo. (Photo by: Ester Hakaala) NAMPA

NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 18 February 2026 - Minister of International Relations and Trade, Selma Ashipala-Musavyi, and UAE Minister of Foreign Trade, Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, pictured with delegates in Windhoek on Wednesday. (Photo: Contributed)

WINDHOEK, 18 February 2026 - Minister of International Relations and Trade, Selma Ashipala-Musavyi, and UAE Minister of Foreign Trade, Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, pictured with delegates in Windhoek on Wednesday. (Photo: Contributed)

NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 18 February 2026 - Vehicles donated to the Ministry of Agriculture by the European Union. (Photo: Contributed)

WINDHOEK, 18 February 2026 - Vehicles donated to the Ministry of Agriculture by the European Union. (Photo: Contributed)

NAMPA
WINDHOEK, 18 February 2026 - EU Ambassador to Namibia, Ana Beatriz Martins. (Photo Contributed)

WINDHOEK, 18 February 2026 - EU Ambassador to Namibia, Ana Beatriz Martins. (Photo Contributed)

NAMPA
WINDHOEK - Governor of the Bank of Namibia (BoN), Ebson Uanguta. (Photo: Contributed)

WINDHOEK - Governor of the Bank of Namibia (BoN), Ebson Uanguta. (Photo: Contributed)

NAMPA
MURURANI, 14 February 2026 - The Minister of Information and Communication Technology Emma Theofelus speaking during the joint celebration of International Safer Internet Day and World Radio Day at Mururani on Saturday. (Photo Contributed)

MURURANI, 14 February 2026 - The Minister of Information and Communication Technology Emma Theofelus speaking during the joint celebration of International Safer Internet Day and World Radio Day at Mururani on Saturday. (Photo Contributed)

NAMPA
ONAMBANGO,14 February 2026- The Inspector General of the Namibian police force (Nampol) Lieutenant Joseph Shikongo delivering  message of condolences at the funeral of the late Ondangwa regional control prosecutor Justine Shiweda. (photo: Ester Hakaala) NAMPA

ONAMBANGO,14 February 2026- The Inspector General of the Namibian police force (Nampol) Lieutenant Joseph Shikongo delivering message of condolences at the funeral of the late Ondangwa regional control prosecutor Justine Shiweda. (photo: Ester Hakaala) NAMPA

NAMPA
ONAMBANGO,14 February 2026 - The casket containing the remains of the late Ondangwa control prosecutor Justine Shiweda ready to be lowered on Saturday at the family's cemetery in Onambango village in Oshana region. (photo by: Ester Hakaala) NAMPA

ONAMBANGO,14 February 2026 - The casket containing the remains of the late Ondangwa control prosecutor Justine Shiweda ready to be lowered on Saturday at the family's cemetery in Onambango village in Oshana region. (photo by: Ester Hakaala) NAMPA

NAMPA